ResourcesHelpful resources after child loss
A Helping Hand
When my son died unexpectedly, suddenly and tragically, I was desperate for any resource I could find to help me navigate the unknown territory of trauma and child loss. With my life turned upside down and the desire to never wake up again, I took to books, podcasts and websites to offer guidance, direction, encouragement and hope to help me make it from one moment to the next. Below are my recommendations and resources that have been a lifeline to me when I didn’t think I would, or could, survive the death of my son. In person counseling with a trauma therapist and EMDR have been necessary in my healing journey. If you haven’t connected with a counselor yet, I lovingly encourage you to do so.
- Lament for a Son. By: Nicholas Wolterstorff
- How to Survive the Worst That Can Happen: A Parent’s Step by Step Guide to Healing After the Loss of a Child. By: Sandy Peckinpah
- A Grief Observed. By: C.S. Lewis
- The Bereaved Parent. By: Harriet Sarnoff Schiff
- Heaven for Kids. By: Randy Alcorn
- Rare Bird: A Memoir of Loss and Love. By: Anna Whiston-Donaldson
- Shattered: From Grief to Joy After My Son’s Suicide. By: Rebecca Tervo
- Hope When it Hurts. By: Kristen Wetherell and Sarah Walton
- When Tragedy Strikes: Rebuilding Your Life With Hope and Healing After the Death of Your Child. By: Laura Diehl
- A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss. By: Jerry L. Sittser
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body Healing After Trauma. By: Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
- The Unspeakable Loss: How Do You Live After a Child Dies? By: Nisha Zenoff, Ph.D
- Shattered: Surviving the Loss of a Child. By: Gary Roe
- Colors of Goodbye: A Memoir of Holding On, Letting Go and Reclaiming Joy in the Wake of Loss. By: September Vaudrey
- Suffering. By: Paul David Tripp
- The One Year Book of Hope. By: Nancy Guthrie
- This Too Shall Last: Finding Grace When Suffering Lingers. By: K.J. Ramsey
- And Still She Laughs: Defiant Joy in the Depths of Suffering. By: Kate Merrick
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People. By: Harold S. Kushner
- Life After the Death of My Son: What I’m Learning. By: Dennis L. Apple
- Try Softer. By: Aundi Kolber, MA LPC
- Always We Begin Again: Stepping Into the Next, New Moment. By: Leeana Tankersley
- When Your Family’s Lost a Loved One: Finding Hope Together. By: Nancy Guthrie
- When it Feels Like the Sky is Falling in: How to Find Hope in an Uncertain World. By: H. Norman Wright
- Beyond Tears: Living After Losing a Child. By: Ellen Mitchell
- Transforming Traumatic Grief: Six Steps to Move from Grief to Peace After the Sudden or Violent Death of a Loved One. By: Courtney M. Armstrong, LPC
- Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament. By: Mark Vroegop
- A Chronicle of Grief: Finding Life After Traumatic Loss. By: Mel Lawrenz
- Child Loss: The Heartbreak and the Hope. By: Clara Hinton
- Always Andy’s Mom
- While We’re Waiting
- The Next Right Thing
- Grief Out Loud
Do You Have a Resource You Want Me to Share?
It’s obvious what I’m drawn to…Books! I hope you can find a few from my list that will be helpful to you as well. I listen to the Podcasts weekly and if you have lost a child, I encourage you to listen to Always Andy’s Mom and While We’re Waiting. They are both very encouraging and have helped me feel less alone on this devastating journey. If you have a website you’d like to share with me, please fill out the contact form below.
I’d love to connect with you! Do you have any resources for child loss that you would like me to list here? Send me an email!